Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: An alternate nopox strategy

To: Terry Browning <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: An alternate nopox strategy
From: dnh <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:02:25 +1000 (EST)

Hey I really favour this idea. As a 'smallpoxer' myself and a long time
freeciver, and have seen quite a few new strategies. While I personally
don't have a problem with freecivs current balance, this idea certainly
has alot of merit both realistically and playability.

I think an important issue to note is that freeciv is designed for few
players, 2 - 8+. If we look at the real world the number of players would
be just alittle more ;). I found when playing alot of ais on a
medium-small map, freeciv produced games very like the real world (except
for the fact that major powers don't seem to lose their power very
quickly.. unlike our world, where the Romans, Mongols, Germans.. have
risen and fallen). In terms of small pox, look at the real world for the
scale of the Earth, medium - large cities are built very close indeed..
Europe for example has alot of cities.

While on the topic of real world comparisons, I also note that freeciv
doesn't touch on Civs that can be 'wiped' out in terms of #cities, but can
restart by such things as revolts.. gorilla warefare. Perhaps some way of
similating that might be very interesting too.

Anyway, you can see by implementing the ideas stated below, smallpoxing
can still be used.. but on a much less rampant scale.. players can still
build on that tiny island.. but they will have to manage it alot more. I
found that the current system of no-smallpox makes for a VERY tedious,
VERY boring and VERY unrealistic game.

dnh