Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixed polish.ruleset

To: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixed polish.ruleset
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:42:55 +0200

On Tuesday 29 May 2001 03:02, Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:
> On Mon, 28 May 2001, thue@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Monday 28 May 2001 22:16, iw0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> Sorry for bad english;
> >>           Fixed Ruleset for Polish Ruleset (by Peter Skrodzewicz)
> >>
> >> Type: non-diff, just place polish.ruleset over older version.
> >>
> >> Fixed: Polish native letter "ó" caused city names not shown
> >> (eg. "Kraków" shown as ""), when building second and up city
> >> (Windows version, maybe UNIX too...). All "ó" changed to
> >> "o". Added: One city name, new kings (historical).
> >
> > But I want to use those characters!  This is also a problem on my
> > system is LANG is C. The solution is to set LANG to something else,
> > fx en_US. Could we just require that of the users?
> >
> > Would it work to just check if LANG is C on startup and then if it
> > is replace it with en_US? Would that work? (unix gurus answer here.)
> > If nothing else we can print out a warning asking the user to change
> > it.
>
> Freeciv is broken because it assumes that all the world uses ISO
> 9959-1.  You will never be able to fix these problems in all cases
> unless you make Freeciv smarter, so that it no longer makes that
> assumption.

What does that take? Go through the data files and escape all the special
characters? And then of course translate them when we load the files at
startup.

Couldn't you just require 8859-1 or whatever? Note, I don't know much in that
area :). But it does seem like a fair requirement to me to be able to display
the ASCII characters.

-Thue