Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixed polish.ruleset

To: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <iw0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Fixed polish.ruleset
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 29 May 2001 02:02:25 +0100

On Mon, 28 May 2001, thue@xxxxxxx wrote:
> On Monday 28 May 2001 22:16, iw0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Sorry for bad english;
>>           Fixed Ruleset for Polish Ruleset (by Peter Skrodzewicz)
>>
>> Type: non-diff, just place polish.ruleset over older version.
>>
>> Fixed: Polish native letter "ó" caused city names not shown
>> (eg. "Kraków" shown as ""), when building second and up city
>> (Windows version, maybe UNIX too...). All "ó" changed to
>> "o". Added: One city name, new kings (historical).
>
> But I want to use those characters!  This is also a problem on my
> system is LANG is C. The solution is to set LANG to something else,
> fx en_US. Could we just require that of the users?
>
> Would it work to just check if LANG is C on startup and then if it
> is replace it with en_US? Would that work? (unix gurus answer here.)
> If nothing else we can print out a warning asking the user to change
> it.

Freeciv is broken because it assumes that all the world uses ISO
9959-1.  You will never be able to fix these problems in all cases
unless you make Freeciv smarter, so that it no longer makes that
assumption.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
I feel partially hydrogenated!