Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: switch penalty

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: switch penalty
From: Jason Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 14:39:49 -0400

Lino Mastrodomenico wrote:

> Karl-Ingo Friese wrote:
> > > As to whether there should be a penalty or not ... That's pretty
> > > stiff.  You're losing somewhere between 100 and 300 shields if you
> > > switch to any other building type after getting beaten to your
> > > target wonder.
> >
> > True, but you missed the point. The discussion was about
> > wether there should be a switch (server variable) allowing to
> > build wonders "secretly". Jason was only pointing to the fact
> > that in some way this already is. In a freeciv game, you will
> > never see me starting to build the wonder I am heading for.
> > to. When I want Pyramids, I start Hanging Gardens. The turn
> > I switch (without penalty) to the "final" wonder is the same
> > turn when it will be finished.
>
> No.
> Davide and Jason say that there is a bug: if you start Hanging Gardens when
> you want Pyramids the other players will at least know that you are building
> a wonder.

Both are true.

Davide pointed out the bug.  Someone misinterpreted what Davide was
saying.  Someone else pointed out that in PayCiv multiplayer, wonders of
the world being built by humans aren't revealed to other humans (since
it doesn't mean much anyway).  I cleared up what Davide was saying
(pointing out the bug again), and also pointed out (again) that it
didn't really matter since you can switch wonders at will anyway.  I
proposed a solution of having a penalty for switching wonders (which is
a bit stiff); another solution is to not show wonders being built.

jason