Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Building wonder in stealth mode! (PR#764)

To: Jason Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Building wonder in stealth mode! (PR#764)
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 20:15:25 -0500

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 06:39:52PM -0400, Jason Short wrote:
> This brings to light an underlying problem with the PayCiv rules: it's
> easy to switch between wonders.  It doesn't matter *which* wonder you're
> building, because you can easily switch.  An alternative ruleset could
> give you the standard 50% penalty when switching between wonders, thus
> making the information gleaned from the "wonders of the world" info
> window actually useful.  This would be an easy change to make, but
> should be an option disabled by default.  I also suspect that the AI
> would not handle it well.

        It would be relatively easy to make this work for the AI too.  The
code for how the AI values wonders needs to be re-written anyway.

        As to whether there should be a penalty or not ... That's pretty
stiff.  You're losing somewhere between 100 and 300 shields if you switch
to any other building type after getting beaten to your target wonder.

        No worse than some sneak attacks, but enough to think about.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."