Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Porting to very small devices

To: jordanc@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jordan Crouse)
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Porting to very small devices
From: "Miguel Farah F." <miguel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:39:38 -0400 (CLT)

Jordan Crouse dijo/said:

>This brings up a point that I have been pondering for some time.
>
>I have been thinking about writing a client for PDA style devices,
>somewhere in the range of 200x320 sized screens.
>I'm not so much worried about the CPU power or the memory as I am the
>actual client itself: it possible to effectively play
>freeciv on such a small screen?

I think not: the screen wouldn't be big enough to fit a decent portion
of the map; the lack of color wouldn't help; management of a city
dialog would be difficult; issuing orders to a unit wouldn't be easy;
the global map wouldn't be able to coexist with the map; distinguising
flags wouldn't be easy; the server wouldn't be easy to set up (although
not impossible); coordination with another humn players would present
another whole set of problems at interface level. Need I go on?

Just so you get an idea, I had a plan of announcing my Freeciv client
port to Palm Vx series for last april 1st. Alas, I erased the half
written announce by mistake, and decided to dump the joke.

--
MIGUEL FARAH              //   miguel@xxxxx
#include <disclaimer.h>   //   http://www.nn.cl/~miguel