Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: How do I add fi.po? + "untranslatable" string

To: Jarkko Ranta <jjranta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: How do I add fi.po? + "untranslatable" string
From: Sini Ruohomaa <siruohom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:36:51 +0100 (CET)

> I'm doing a Finnish translation for freeciv (CVS-version).

  Oh, that makes two of us. Teamwork! =) How far have you gotten? Toss me
a mail, siruohom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx. I hope we haven't put too much work on
doing the same thing.

I announced in here when I started to work on the translation, but nothing
happened on the webpage so I assumed it means I need to have a file to
hand over before I'm 'noticed', and since I translate on top of no.po to
get a simultaneous "second opinion", my file's got Norwegian residues on
it until I'm finished with first round (= 99% complete translation), so I
don't consider it a good idea to upload it quite yet (and clearing all the
remaining Norwegian entries just for submitting doesn't sound like a fun
job). Is there something magical I could do anyway? Like *special sound
effects* I Hereby Announce That I Am Doing a Finnish Translation, Please
Refer People To Me On The Webpage If They Want To Join In I'd Be Very
Happy To Get Some Help Thank You Very Much *special effects end*? ;)
There. Or should it be in a separate mail too?

> I would like to test my translations, but adding a "fi"-entry to
> configure.in's ALL_LINGUAS (and doing configure and make) doesn't seem to
> be enough.
> Can you tell me what else should I do?

You need to mess around a bit... What did we do... *A-ha!* It seems that
once you're made fi.gmo, it wants to copied into
/usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/freeciv.mo for it to actually make any
difference. My home-nerd says it'd probably be enough to make it be
somewhere on a locale-path, if that rings any bells. (Could someone look
into a professional explanation on this and add it to the end of "How to
add support for new languages" on l10n.phtml on the site?)

---

Oh, and client/gui-gtk/helpdlg.c:879 has this string " (with ", and then
comes some advance(s), a variable, and the ending string is ").". Could
someone please make it possible to translate the ").", so me using
postpositions instead of prepositions (after word, not before) could form
some way of translating this? (Not that I'll get away with one word then
either, I think... *theatrical sigh* ;))

--Sini