Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] i18n, gettext

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] i18n, gettext
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:08:40 +0100 (CET)

Hi,
I have worked a bit on the win32 gettext problem. Now I'm not changing
the intl dir.

A patch is attached. Do

mv amiga/gettext.c common
mv amiga/libintl.h common

before applying.

It works on Windows if you do some editing in the Makefiles.

Things to be fixed:
* Check in configure whether to use the installed gettext
     or the one in the intl dir
     or the one in the common dir.
      (Or should we remove the intl dir??)
* Avoid compiling common/gettext.c if not necessary
     (Should we do some magic in Makefile.am or should we
      #ifdef the whole file?)
* Use the right libintl.h
     (Symlink from common/libintl.h to intl/libintl.h?)
* Correct dependencies of the executables
      (Check if we need intl/libintl.a or just common/libcivcommon.a)
* Correct paths in amiga makefiles
* LOCALEDIR should be a relative path on windows (I currently use just
"locale").

The patch relies on AMIGA being defined if building for AmigaOS (gcc
defines it).

I don't think that I know enough about autoconf to do all these things.

An alternative would be to use the recent gnu-intl.dll from the "Gimp for
Windows"-Project. But that thing depends on glib (not glibc!).
And glib depends on libiconv (which I cannot compile because it needs
M$ Visual C++) and and I don't want to carry dozens of dlls with me.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade