Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: settler_worker_cost patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: settler_worker_cost patch
From: "R. Miller" <richere@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 11:03:49 -0500

At 20:40 01-03-05 -0800, Arien Malec wrote:
Attached is a patch implementing part of the ICS defeating strategies
recently discussed: upping the cost of making settlers. This patch adds
a game.ruleset variable:

settler_worker_cost

that makes it possible to adjust how expensive it is, in terms of city
works, to create settlers/engineers.

(I think ultimately this should be a function of units.rulesets, but it
was simpler to put it in games.rulesets for now).

To implement the patch, I also made city_auto_remove_worker to take a
parameter of the number of workers to remove, and to actually decrement
city size. I think this is more modular and cleaner, but is not
actually necessary to change the Freeciv behavior.

I've tested the game with the patch: it changes the game dynamic quite
radically, even with a settler_worker_cost of 2 (note that you could
set the worker cost to 0 which would be ICS ++++).

I would also recommend creating a light terraforming unit (roads,
irrigation), to rebalance the increased settler cost (I tested game
play reusing the Elephants unit as a light terraforming unit, but of
course, one would want to create a new unit).

Have fun.

Arien

Hello,

I was changing the rules.txt file in Civ2 yesterday (in order to cause the UN to expire at the discovery of Space Flight - as a practical joke for my wife who never fails to build the UN).

I came across an entry for the advancement Plumbing - which was never finally included in Civ2 but is in there - I expect that the designers were planning on making it a prerequisite for allowing setttlers to irrigate.
The prerequisites for Plumbing were to be Pottery and Construction.

Maybe Plumbing could be included as a prerequisite advance for your terraforming unit, which would perform irrigation.

Robaire.