Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv development

To: Nathan Lovell <lovell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv development
From: Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 23:46:03 -0300

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Nathan Lovell wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Richard Marmorstein wrote:
> > > Your improvements are neat.  I can't wait for them to
> > > come out.  Also I suggest adding more kinds of tanks
> > > such as the sherman.
> > This is to much specific for the high level gaming of Freeciv. I think it
> > cannot be added as a unit by itself, but instead as a unit model. (See
>
> > http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200009/msg00042.html)
>
> Hey, that's a really neat idea.  I haven't heard it before.  I see it's
> been ~6 months since that email.  Have you done any work on
> implementation, or planning?

No implementation, nor planning. I have too much ideas in mind to implement all
of them. Since I have finished with the combat rules patch, my aims has focused
in the implementation of provinces. This is my present work. If no one has
faced the unit models features by the time I finished the provinces one, may
be...

> My thought on reading it was that it could make use of the city naming
> module recently ported from xconq.  Those people really obsessed with the
> details of the unit warfare could associate unit names with the nation
> sets (ie Sherman, Bradley, etc. tanks for US) and the evolving models
> could then have unique names.  Anyway, just a thought.

Really I would like to see someone interested in working on implement those
ideas. A complement to all this would be that each client might have its own
unit pixmap set, so units of diferent nations would have its own appearance.