Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new civworld patch

To: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new civworld patch
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:12:42 +0100

On Tuesday 20 February 2001 08:32, you wrote:
> there is a new civworld patch and README in incoming/
> (soon to be in contrib/utils/civworld)
>
> It is a work-in-progress, which means, some dialogs don't fully work and
> error checking is at a minimum, but I thought I'd let you all play around
> with it:
>
> New stuff:
> add, edit, and delete players.
> add and delete cities and units
> shortcut keys
> --iso on the command line. (some things don't work quite right.)

In the normal client this is done implicitly by choosing the tiles. We might
want to keep it consistent.
Oh, and the rectangle paint got me into an infinite, _very_ memory hungry,
loop. Basically it allocated so fast that X had grinded so much to a halt I
almost couldn't give orders to the mashine. When my orders finally got
through 350MB of swap had been used :). Great fun; I had been warned :)

> rudimentary city editing. (add/remove improvements. city size)
> fog-of-war editing
>
> Major flaws:
> fogging doesn't work right.
> no tech editing
> can't homecity a unit.
> auto_adjust_workers() doesn't work.
>
> despite this, it's kinda fun playing around:
> ever wondered what a city with 2 billion people looked like?
> want to know how 1 tank changes things in 4000BC?
> etc.
>

> On another note: can anyone tell me why 'map_editor' is a permanent in the
> capability string?
>
> --mike

"map_editor" is just a flag that tells the server that the new tags like
game.load_start_positions are used. When it loads a game it looks at the
flags and from them decides how it will try to load the file.
(I hope that was what you asked :) )

Very nice work btw.

-Thue