Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Update] Happiness display (GTK client)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Update] Happiness display (GTK client)
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:52:29 -0500

Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Cool,... and very useful! But... Texts weren't so nobrainer, for
example, could you explain what this means: "3 content with 1 additional unhappy sitizen for every 7 cities over 13 (18 total)". Should it just tell how many unhappy sitizens are caused by amount of cities?

I was just trying to keep the text brief, but apparently it seems to be confusing rather than helpful. I will certainly try to find a better way of saying it. I am also planning to add a help button in case people want more detailed infomation.

Firstly, "Happy" should be "Happiness", althought it takes more space
(Isometric anyways takes more space, so it doesn't matter so much anymore).

That was carried over from Civ2, but can be changed, no problem.

I know that not everyone is using isometric view, so should the buttons are organized in some other way then?

Raimer has already suggested that since he is adding a new button too. I will leave it to him to find a better arrangement. :-)

In general,
Civ2s city dialog were more practical, and we could do something like
that using for example GTK+'s tab widget (or whatever it is called,
the one that gives more pages in one dialog (Happiness, unitlist, configuration, worklist and this kind of things)

That would certainly be ideal, although I don't know enough GTK+ to implement it.

Is this bug or what: I have built Michelangelo's Chapel, and in Buildings tab it is shown: "Cathedral (Michelangelo's Chapel)". But
in Wonders- field there is nothing. Maybe there should be something
like this: "Michelangelo Chapel (counted as Cathedral)".

No, it is *not* a bug. As in Civ2, Michelangelo's Chapel is shown in the Buildings row, not as a Wonder.

And I'd like to see "Happiness"-button also in City report dialog (F1).

Then some button shuffling may be needed there too. I feel that two rows of buttons can be somewhat awkward to use, but it seems to be necessary. Anyway, I will add it.

Mike