Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch handling (was: [Update] Attribute handling)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch handling (was: [Update] Attribute handling)
From: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:04:54 +0100

fredagen den 16 februari 2001 21:00 skrev Mike Jing:
> Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >I second this motion.
> >
> >>Reinier said he will take a look at the attribute handling.
> >
> >But I don't have CVS write access to the code, and I don't want it,
> > either!
>
> Me either.  I don't trust myself enough to accept that responsibility.
> >:->
>
> On the other hand, I do wish some of the smaller fixes could be committed
> more quickly.

I don't want the host/maintainers to hand out write access to the left and
right either. It's a security issue. If more people have accounts and
passwords, there are more accounts availible to hijack for evil crackers.
Then they could checkin trojan horses, which people then update, compile and
run. Especially since I have heard that people use cronjobs to update Freeciv
CVS.

Limiting write access to parts of the project is good. If I understand
correctly, translators have access to the doc and po directories. But it
would be even better to limit to files. There is no reason for the pt_BR
translator to have access to for example ja.po. But maybe there is some
limitation in CVS?

However, a growing project needs to expand. So I think it would be nice to
add 1 or 2 new committers. They should be people with good understanding of
the overall structure of Freeciv, know how the parts affect each other so
they don't break anything, be skilled C programmers and have a high level of
understanding of Linux (or the system they use) security administration (see
above). But it's not up to me to judge who that would be.