Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound/Eye-candy

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound/Eye-candy
From: Nghia <nho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:04:23 +1100

> Have you looked at Xconq's SDL implementation lately? It runs on at
least
> UNIX and Mac.
>
> > Also btw is anyone working on any eye-candy extra for freeciv? I've
been
> > mucking around with the "city view" thing like the original civ
where
> > you see what you built graphically but its in 16 bit color, so that
> > might be a problem.
>
> Great! Things like this gives games the certain feeling of Commercial
> Quality(TM).

SDL has been ported to Windows and Beos also, which is perfect. Stuff
like
video animation would be nice also and wouldn't be such a hassle with
it. But
I'm not sure if the maintainers of FreeCiv would be fine with mixing Gtk
and
SDL or not.

The only reason I'm mucking aroound with the city view in SDL is because

I wanted to learn SDL. It appears to be much easier to use for this
task.  Now
if only I had all the images for the improvement and wonders ... can't
imagine
doing them all *shudder*.

Nghia