Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound/Eye-candy

To: Nghia <nho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound/Eye-candy
From: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:44:39 +0100

söndagen den 11 februari 2001 14:04 skrev Nghia:
> > Have you looked at Xconq's SDL implementation lately? It runs on at least
> > UNIX and Mac.
> >
> > > Also btw is anyone working on any eye-candy extra for freeciv? I've been
> > > mucking around with the "city view" thing like the original civ where
> > > you see what you built graphically but its in 16 bit color, so that
> > > might be a problem.
> >
> > Great! Things like this gives games the certain feeling of Commercial
> > Quality(TM).
>
> SDL has been ported to Windows and Beos also, which is perfect. Stuff like
> video animation would be nice also and wouldn't be such a hassle with it.
> But I'm not sure if the maintainers of FreeCiv would be fine with mixing Gtk
> and SDL or not.

If you make a city view component in SDL and Freeciv can use it, it could be
shared with Xconq.

> The only reason I'm mucking aroound with the city view in SDL is because
> I wanted to learn SDL. It appears to be much easier to use for this task.
> Now if only I had all the images for the improvement and wonders ... can't
> imagine doing them all *shudder*.

What do you have now? Could you show it?

I did a search and found this:
Utility to generate random city views:
<http://members.tripod.com/~DCieslak/util.html>
Lighthouse: <http://members.tripod.com/~DCieslak/pharos.jpg>
Parlament (for use in capital under democratic and republic governments):
<http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~kessler/ray/rtag2.jpg>

Theese are probably not GPL, but maybe if we ask the authors nicely (like
before). There is much more to be found on the net. Everybody just keep
searching.

We need different backgrounds for the city views. The station view in
Railroad Tycoon II uses different backgrounds depending on the location of
the station. They seem to have 4 different; Mountains, Hills, River and Sea.
If you want to see it without downloading the whole demo, look at these
screenshots:
<http://hem.passagen.se/eriksig/rt2_station_minimal_mountains.png>
<http://hem.passagen.se/eriksig/rt2_station_minimal_hills.png>
<http://hem.passagen.se/eriksig/rt2_station_minimal_river.png>