Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Keepig Xconq and Freeciv syncronized.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Keepig Xconq and Freeciv syncronized.
From: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:21:16 +0100

torsdagen den  1 februari 2001 17:00 skrev Tuomas Airaksinen:
> One thing just come to my mind... What if they develop it further, fix bugs
> or do anything else to the code? And what if we do those things?
> So, how is it possible to keep those common codes between projects
> synchronized?

Good that you bring it up. The subject needs a lot of attention.

Even if they develop it further, Freeciv will continue to work. And we will
notice, because we are subscribed to xconq-cvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
xconq7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (at least I am). Then we will port it. I just
ported the whole thing, so it would certainly be possible to port a few bug
fixes as well. They will notice us too, because they are subscribed to
freeciv-dev (at least their chief, Stan).

But porting could be easier. As it is now, each game independently implements
a bunch of helper functions; a logging function, a random function and
some string handling functions. They all have different names and behave
slightly different, which makes porting difficult.

We understand that both programs need these functions. I suspect that most
programs need (some of) them and implement them independently. What a waste
of effort. It is obviously a flaw in the platform (the C language and libc)
that all this waste of effort is necessary.

What wee can do is to at least keep consistency between Xconq and Freeciv.
Both are turn based strategy games. The main differences are that Freeciv has
squares while Xconq has hexes, Freeciv has a clear client-server structure
while Xconq has not. Does this motivate differences in the random function?
In the logging function? In the string handling functions? I think not. At
least not all of them.

One implementation in each pair must be better for both programs, because the
programs are so similar. Let's use it in both programs. And let's call it the
same. If freelog is better, then rename it so something neutral in Freeciv
("log"?) and use it in Xconq. Another thing that could be syncronized are the
flag collections.

The convergence program could continue, if people just looked more outside
their own sandboxes. That is the point of OS/Free Software. Take full
advantage of the GPL, like the big projects. For example, KDE and GNOME have
a kde-gnome mailing list for interoperability issues.