Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: BUG/PATCH: Overproduction problems (PR#670)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: BUG/PATCH: Overproduction problems (PR#670)
From: John Paul Rodman <jp@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 01:26:30 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Joona Kiiski wrote:

> It has no effect when you are normally building things.
> The penalty is counted before new shields are added to stock.

It would probably be easier for the user to understand if the penalty was
counted immediately when you switch to an item where there is
overproduction in the same way that the production type change penalty is
done.

So, your example:

> b) But if you building armor (71/80). Change it to riflemen (71/40)
> Overproduction is counted (=31). Shields are added (86/40). Riflemen
> is built. Your shields are (46/40). But now, because of overproduction,
> penalty is counted(31 makes 16). And your shield score is (31/40).

would be:

You're building armor (71/80).
Change to riflemen which would be (71/40), but with overproduction penalty
(31/2 = 16) you get (56/40).

Naturally, if you swap again, your sheilds should be recomputed from the
original value, just like for the production type change penalty.

This also has the benifit of eliminating the double penalty concern
mentioned by David:

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, David Pfitzner wrote:

> Also, if you are almost finished building Airport and change
> to Rifleman, you suffer twice!  Lose 75 on change, then an
> extra 18 on overproduction when build Rifleman.  Again, maybe
> ok, but not clear to me.

I agree with Reinier and Mika that the amount of the penalty should be
configurable, but I think it's worth putting this in, even if it's not.
Is the production type change penalty configurable?
Should these both be tied to the same variable or configured seperately?

JP