Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Micromanagement

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Micromanagement
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 23:26:36 +0100

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 05:00:41PM -0500, Mike Jing wrote:

> Another reason why there is not enough city development in Freeciv is that
> there is no way to ensure peace.

No Senate ...

> An ironclad is
> always more useful than a library when you don't need a library to research
> steam engine.

But ironclads are lost.  The reason libraries aren't interesting is that by
the time you have ironclads, they can decide the game, and research only
takes a couple of turns per tech anyway.

> All this gives the impression that Freeciv is just a war
> game.  I guess the space race is just window dressing after all.

It comes too late.

--
Reinier

> But things are looking up.  Diplomacy is getting better, and I think I saw
> the senate (gasp!) in the CVS version.  It may not solve everything, but
> it's at least a step in the right direction.

There's a CVS server on civserver.freeciv.org for testing.  What po
should we use to run it?  It updates to the nightly version automatically.
but it won't kill a running server.

--
Reinier