Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tileset

Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tileset
From: Nathan Lovell <lovell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:12:35 -0700 (MST)

>   There are two options, as I see it (neither a
> > trivial change, I think):
> >
> > 1- Add one more size (90x90)? that will be useful for the foreseeable
> > future.
>
> This is actually quite doable: Freeciv doesn't depend on a hardcoded
> tiles size!  The two main tilesets (Trident and Engels) actually have
> different sizes.  Someone published a smaller tileset a few months
> ago.  I have started work on a purely 'symbolic' tileset in which the
> tiles would be completely non-pictorial, which should make them easier
> to recognise, but I haven't had any good results yet.

Oh!  Well in that case...
Does whomever made the original tilesets have the files still?  It looks
like they were both made from the same graphics files, scaled to the
proper size.  I'll try out the other sets you mentioned and see how they
look.

> > 2- Or more invasively, move to a scaled environment a la Alpha Centauri
> > (if memory serves)
>
> Work on an OpenGL client was started (it's on the ftp site)
> but never finished.
Is anyone still working on it?  Can they contact me, please?