Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Memory leak (PR#605)

To: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Memory leak (PR#605)
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:25:05 +0100 (CET)

Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa writes:

 > It would probably be a good idea to add support for big pixmaps in
 > gdk-win32 itself instead of kludging around in the client.  This way other
 > gtk+-win32 programs would benefit.  Every gtk+ bug should be fixed in the
 > library if possible and sent to the gtk+-win32 maintainer IMHO.  Unless
 > the kludge is small and much less painful than patching the lib.

Big pixmaps *are* supported. But you cannot create 1200 small pixmaps.
AFAIK there is only 64 KB of memory in windows for maintaining the
bitmaps and similar things. (keeping information like width, height,
bits per pixel, etc).
The gdk-win32 people know that. The only workaround is to avoid using
windows bitmaps whenever possible. You would have to invent your own
pixmap/bitmap format. Then you have to convert the bitmaps/pixmaps to
the "native" windows bitmaps again if you want to draw anything. That
would horribly slow down gdk.

And any gdk/gtk+ program, which does not use as many pixmaps as
freeciv would suffer.
I will also look at newer versions of gtk+ for windows. Perhaps they
are better. Then I have to compile everything again. If the memory
leak is not fixed yet, I will try to fix it.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade