Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: capitalization

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: capitalization
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 15:15:54 -0500

At 2000/11/05 23:09 , Martin Olveyra wrote:
>Remember that before the invention of money, the interchange system was based
>on wheat grains or other kind of production. So a pretty idea (unless for
me) is
>to use, before the discovering of currency (may be called metal currency
>instead, or Coin Age), the amount of food in granaries as "currency" and
we have
>not "gold" during this stage, but instead, if we buy something, we take
grains
>from granaries, and If we sell something, granaries are filled. Also, the
trade
>of a city must fill the granary too!. This is historically realistic.

A Barter System?  An interesting idea, but perhaps too small a detail to be
modelled at the fairly abstract level that Freeciv employs.

As it is, "gold" is the abstraction used to model the fraction of the
economy of a city that is fungible.  It does not matter what is really
being exchanged -- wheat or ball bearings or precious metals or paper
money.  As it is, the advance "Currency" does not exist from the start, so
any "gold" before then can't be money.  In fact, the model does take into
account the barter system, just at a very high level of abstraction.

>At 2000/08/22 17:06 , Nicolas Brunel wrote:
>>I know about the possibility of selling buildings. But, it will look
>>strange to have capitalization available too soon in the game. It's like
>>to have an unavailable to build nuclear weapon at the start of the game.
>>Is it possible to give it another name ?

In any case, this doesn't address the basic need, which is to rename
Capitalization when it is available at the start of the game.

jjm