Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: capitalization

To: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: capitalization
From: Martin Olveyra <bj0v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 01:09:08 -0300

On Sat, 04 Nov 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> >>I know about the possibility of selling buildings. But, it will look
> >>strange to have capitalization available too soon in the game. It's like
> >>to have an unavailable to build nuclear weapon at the start of the game.
> >>Is it possible to give it another name ?
> >
> >I've been thinking long on this, and the only thing I have come up with is
> >"Coinage" (which is not great).  The idea is of turning raw production
> >(i.e., gold bullion) into money (i.e., gold coins).

Remember that before the invention of money, the interchange system was based
on wheat grains or other kind of production. So a pretty idea (unless for me) is
to use, before the discovering of currency (may be called metal currency
instead, or Coin Age), the amount of food in granaries as "currency" and we have
not "gold" during this stage, but instead, if we buy something, we take grains
from granaries, and If we sell something, granaries are filled. Also, the trade
of a city must fill the granary too!. This is historically realistic.