Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: About windows-FAQ

To: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: About windows-FAQ
From: Todd Goodman <tsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:36:25 -0400

I've still not been able to build a native windows version with a free
compiler (gcc).  I haven't been able to build pthreads and was told
before that in order to distribute a GPLed binary you better be able to
have built it with the sources you're making available.  Picking up a
pthreads .DLL built with MSVC seems shaky to me.  pthreads may in fact
build fine now with gcc (I haven't checked in a while).

The Windows FAQ is most definately useful when someone has a question
about what an X Server is and whether there are any available for
Windows.  Perhaps moving those items to another page would allow
reference to them but not confuse new users who don't need to see them?

I will continue to build the Windows X version since 1)  it seems more
stable to me (this is totally subjective and could have been a problem
with my native build itself), 2)  I run many other X apps anyway, and
3) It allows me to run the client/server on any of my machines at home
and display on any of those machines.

FWIW, I certainly agree that the X Server setup is confusing to many new
Freeciv users who are Windows based.  The only other part that comes
close is trying to explain why they need to start the Freeciv server
separately from the client if they want to play against the AI.

Todd

* Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [001013 15:17]: