Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client goto & patrol v2

To: thue@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client goto & patrol v2
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Sep 2000 00:05:09 +0200

Thue <thue@xxxxxxx> writes:

> ok, I though of a problem. Currently, a goto route (which is a list of
> (x,y)) is chopped up and then send in peices to the server. However
> this has the problem with multiple connections that if the sending of
> 2 paths are intermingled it will see them as comming from the same
> player, and things will go horribly wrong.  So, I want to make a route
> one packet, variable lenght. (a lenght field followed by the list of
> (x,y)). However, this mean that some routes will generate packets that
> cannot be transmitted because of limitations in the network layer.

What limitations?  Or, put another way, how severe are these
limitations?

> Should I just ignore that problem and consider the network ideal?

I suppose it's unlikely to become a practical problem right now, but
you'll have to deal with it sooner or later, if this multiple
connection thingie catches on...

> Is it ideal in this respect?

Frog knows.  Maybe you could tag the packets with connection number.

> Any ideas as to how to get around the problem?

Well, any (that is, most ;-) tiles have got exactly eight neighbours.
Thus, assuming that all goto routes are from adjacent tile to adjacent
tile, you could pack each step into only 3 bits, which is a lot
shorter than two shorts (32 bits?)  I suppose that might be good for
traffic anyway, but it might not be worth it if it takes a long time
to pack / unpack.

--
Big Gaute (not to be confused with LG)
I want you to MEMORIZE the collected poems of EDNA ST VINCENT MILLAY..