Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:53:51 +0200

On 2000-09-22 12:45:45, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 10:56:58AM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:

> > > Should have been "(struct locus){x, y}" of course.

> > > Really, I didn't know. Then how it is it done by ANSI?
> >
> > 'on-the-fly' struct creation is not possible.
> >
> > Instead use a 'constructor' function
> >
> > struct locus make_locus(int x,int y) {
> >   struct locus l;
> >   l.x=x; l.y=y;
> >   return l;
> > }
>
> AFAIK this is wrong. The variable l is created on the stack which is
> destroyed at the return. You have to do return a newly allocated part of
> memory. Using this you will get some problems with bookkeeping since C has
> no GC.

That's true (unless this is some weird special case)
The easiest way to do it probably is to have a variable in the calling
context and have a function like:

struct locus *
set_locus( struct locus *l, int x, int y )
{
    l->x = x;
    l->y = y;
    return l;
}

That way You don't have to worry about allocating memory and freeing it
later...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)