Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:51:48 +0200

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> Is there a method to just get freeciv ro render some maps?
> It is timeconsuming to start a game with a single player and 10
> explorers just to see the map.
>
> I would like to do
>
> for i in 10 20 30 40 50; do  freeciv -generate --river=$i > map$i.gif ; done

I guess no one is ever going to code thoose arguments into Freeciv. But
the effect you want could be achieved by writing a shell script that
creates a scriptfile for Freeciv. The shellscript would look something
like this:

for i in 10 20 30 50 50 do
  rm -f rivertest.civscript
  echo "set rivers $i"          >> rivertest.civscript
  echo "create dummy_ai_player" >> rivertest.civscript
  echo "start"                  >> rivertest.civscript
  echo "save rivertest_$i.sav"  >> rivertest.civscript
  echo "quit"                   >> rivertest.civscript
  ser -r rivertest.civscript
  civgame2gif rivertest_$i.sav rivertest_$i.gif
done

The only problem is that someone has to write the program "civgame2gif"
(or perhaps "civgame2png"). The program would have to take such
arguments as "--tileset" and "--grid".

> > Test with different settings for forests, deserts, etc. (That is the
> > testing I will do but it is not enough that only I do it.)
>
> How do you do it?

It may be possible to start a game as an observer to see the whole map
immediately, But I haven't tested it. Until now, I have done it like
this:
* Edit data/default/units.ruleset so that explorers have 64 moves.
* Create a file called testgame.script. Mine currently looks like this:

set xsize 40
set ysize 100
#set generator 4
set landmass 85
set mountains 100
set rivers 1000
set grass 20
set forest 100
set swamps 100
set deserts 100
set huts 0
set settlers 1
set explorer 10
set dispersion 10
set gold 5000
set techlevel 10
set researchspeed 4
set foodbox 5
set barbarians 0
set civilwarsize 1000
set endyear 5000
set saveturn 1
set compress 9
set fogofwar 0
#set aifill 2

  I comment out what is not wanted at the moment.
* Start the game with the commands "civ&" and
  "ser -r <some path>/testgame.script -d 3", connect and start.
* Hold down X for a while and watch the 10 super boosted explorers
uncover the   whole map in 1 turn.

> Cheers,
>         Gerhard

        Erik