Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: TODO
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:55:15 +0200

Thue wrote:
> The problem is that to commit your patches I will have to read and test them
> myself, and I do not feel I can ensure I will see it to the end. Sad but true.
> (you have seen for yourself how patches are never bug-free enough to be just
> commited.)

This is the problem with all patches of significant size and complexity.
To prevent stagnation* of software projects there must be ways to
overcome this kind of difficulty. Even for Freeciv. Sulutions that are
elegant should get in sooner or later.

Let us be optimistic and hope that it is not just you and me who are
interested in a generalization/abstaction of the coordinate handling. If
several other people are testing the patches, your burden shouldn't be
too heavy. You could just forget about it for a while and look at it a
number of incarnations later when people consider it stable.

> -Thue

-Erik

* With stagnation I mean when inferior sulutions are selected over
superior solutions because of legacy reasons.