Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: terrain/riverbonus v2

To: hhg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: terrain/riverbonus v2
From: Marc Strous <m.strous@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:00:36 +0200

I welcome the addition of these effects. i do wonder though whether this
should be "hard-coded".
Perhaps it would be neater to implement it completely via the rulesets
(terrain and units) to allow for more flexibility. What would happen if i
wanted to create a fantasy world with lava streams and iron mountains. i
would like to include terrain bonuses applying to different terrains and
different unit-types (i.e. the "iron-man" should have an advantage in the
iron mountains but a disadvantage in the lava stream). I would have to do
your work again.
This is just an extreme example to illustrate the point, but you would run
into compatibility problems sooner than this and it would not be much more
work to implement it completely via rulesets.
perhaps version v3? but as i said i welcome the addition.

Hi, here is my terrain/river defense bonus patch v2. It's written for Sept
9-th
cvs snapshot. If you are not aware of features of this patch, I suggest you
to read my
previous mail (with subj: More complex terrain advantages and disadvantages
patch, date: Aug 30), which I quote here in full length. The most important
new feature in v2 are new server options "terrainbonus"
and "riverbonus", which allow you to turn terrain/river antibonus on/off. I
decided to add these two server options instead of one, because I have seen
that some people welcome terrain bonus/antibonus, but don't like river
antibonus. Just FYI, the default setting of terrainbonus option is "2", what
means Armor_Type units get terrain disadvantage and the default setting of
riverbonus is "1", what means that it remains unchanged by default. I would
be really grateful for more replies than v1 gained. I would like to
know, how do you feel about these changes and what are your testing
experiences with this patch. I would be also extremely happy if somebody who
is responsible for adding patches into main development tree will tell me how
does he feel about these changes ;) and what should be added into the patch
before being officially accepted. Many greetings,
    -Peter Jurcovic TODO: There is one more important thing to add and that
are changes in help
entries, but that should be probably done after testing and official
accepting. LIST OF CHANGED FILES AND FUNCTIONS: server/stdinhand.c:
    - added terrainbonus and riverbonus server options common/game.h:
    - added variables and MIN, MAX, DEFAULT values for terrainbonus and
riverbonus serv.opt. common/game.c:
    - added initialization of terrainbonus and riverbonus serv.opt.
server/savegame.c:
    game_save();
    game_load(); server/unittools.c:
    get_defense_power();
    enemies_at(); server/unitfunc.c:
    get_simple_defense_power();
    get_virtual_defense_power(); server/settlers.c:
    city_desirability(); common/unittype.c, unittype.h:
    - added Armor_Type and Infantry_Type unit flags
data/default/units.ruleset:
    - added Armor_Type and Infantry_Type unit flags ai/aiunit.c:
    find_beachhead();