Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: terrain/riverbonus v2

To: "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: terrain/riverbonus v2
From: peter jurcovic <hhg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:12:03 +0200

Marc Strous wrote:

> I welcome the addition of these effects. i do wonder though whether this
> should be "hard-coded".
> Perhaps it would be neater to implement it completely via the rulesets
> (terrain and units) to allow for more flexibility. What would happen if i
> wanted to create a fantasy world with lava streams and iron mountains. i
> would like to include terrain bonuses applying to different terrains and
> different unit-types (i.e. the "iron-man" should have an advantage in the
> iron mountains but a disadvantage in the lava stream). I would have to do
> your work again.

Yes, you're probably right with this point. It would be nice to be able to tell
which unit enjoys (=has advantage) on which terrains. The most simple way would
be to add terrains which unit enjoys into unit flags in units.ruleset. The bases
of contemporary patch code could be probably used with just small changes.

> This is just an extreme example to illustrate the point, but you would run
> into compatibility problems sooner than this and it would not be much more
> work to implement it completely via rulesets.

I think we can't implement it "completely via rulesets". There have to be some
changes in the code. Probably the most correct solution would be to have
"defense_bonus" and "defense_antibonus" in terrain.ruleset and list of friendly
terrains in flags in units.ruleset (note: terrains not included in flags would
be automaticly considered unfriendly and unit would have disadvantage on them).

> perhaps version v3? but as i said i welcome the addition.

I'm glad that there are people who welcome the idea, thanks.