Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New River Generator

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New River Generator
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 14:25:22 +0200

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:

> * "Erik" == Erik Sigra schrieb am Tue, 05 Sep 2000 09:19:54 +0200:
>
> > What do you think? Any interest?
>
> I think it is very nice :) and a huge improvement.
>
> However, if you are ambitious, you could try to incorporate the
> feature that rivers tend to split as they approach the ocean. Nearly
> all big rivers do have a delta.(Danubia, Nile, Mississippi, ...)

I think it would be best (easiest) to draw special delta tiles, one for each
combination of rivers/oceans (feel free to do so).

OOO  OOO  OOO
O*O  O*L  L*L
LRL  LRL  LRL and so on.

The client could also be told to draw tiles that are in the corner between
river and ocean specially.

OOO
#*#
LRL

> Also, rivers get wider as they approach the ocean.
> I do know that these features would require more tiles, but maybe one
> can get them by rescaling others.

I have plans for a whole new map generator with climate calculations (altitude,
wind, precipitation, evaporation, latitude, biomes, ...). It would then of
course also support differnt river sizes. Maybe even corrosion and
sedimentation (delta).

But that is really long term. I haven't even decided which coordinate
system/view/projection to use yet. But if you paint it I will design the
simulation algorithms, OK?

By the way, does anyone know how to visualize heights on the map, like in Alpha
Centauri? I will need to know this before I can start.

Such a map generator could be used by many more games than Freeciv, even real
time games.

>         Gerhard

        Erik