[Freeciv-Dev] Re: zlib compression

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: zlib compression
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:55:17 +1100 (EST)

Lauri Tarkkala <ltarkkal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I tinkered with my freeciv-net* patches some more, and added compression
> of all network traffic using zlib.

I just note that currently zlib is optional for compiling freeciv.
Would this make it mandatory?  (I guess could support uncompressed
traffic to connections without zlib support, but that would seem
to defeat much of the purpose...)  If so, do people think thats ok?

On a related note, do sane things happen for all the combinations
of servers/clients with/without compression support trying to connect
to each other after this feature?

(And BTW what is the current state of server I/O changes, and
"list clistat", independent of compression?  I lost track with
you and Vasco posting various patches back and forth :-)

-- David