[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Background Freeciv Server

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Background Freeciv Server
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:31:33 +0200

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 10:46:05AM +0200, Erik Sigra wrote:
> "Per I. Mathisen" wrote:
> > Ideally, the server should just be fork&forget. Leave it to clients to
> > configure it. First join gets highest server priviledges.

This is implemented with the 'cmdlevel first' feature.

> > To protect
> > against server hijacking, the first to join may (optionally) need a
> > command-line supplied password.

Daniel Burrows has a patch for user authentication, unfortunately
it is now out of date.

> > This would both simplify the server code
> > and make it simpler for the user. The server can be controlled by a GUI -
> > the client.
20
As long as the text interface is still available, and there is no duplication
of effort in maintaining the GUI and text-only interfaces, I'm all for it.

> > Ideally, the server should also fork whenever a game is started and move
> > to a different port. This way you can run lots of games on the same
> > server. There have been requests from server admins for this feature in
> > the past.

That would mean the clients would have to be redirected to the chosen port
upon startup.  I have an unfinished patch to add a 'redirect-to-this-server'
field to the PACKET_JOIN_GAME_REPLY packet so the server can tell the client
to go elsewhere.

> Also true. And a client should start a server process and connect to it,
> if the player chooses that. So there would be no need to start the
> server with an extra command. This is an issue for payciv compatibility.

This can be done using an '--autoconnect' client option and a trivial
wrapper script.

  (sleep 5; civclient --autoconnect) & civserver

--
Reinier Post