[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Background Freeciv Server

Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Background Freeciv Server
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:46:05 +0200

"Per I. Mathisen" wrote:
> Ideally, the server should just be fork&forget. Leave it to clients
> configure it. First join gets highest server priviledges. To protect
> against server hijacking, the first to join may (optionally) need a
> command-line supplied password. This would both simplify the server code
> and make it simpler for the user. The server can be controlled by a GUI -
> the client.

Yes, getting rid of code for command prompt and input handling from the
server seens appealing to me. That is the kind of stuff that clients are
for.

> Ideally, the server should also fork whenever a game is started and move
> to a different port. This way you can run lots of games on the same
> server. There have been requests from server admins for this feature in
> the past.

Also true. And a client should start a server process and connect to it,
if the player chooses that. So there would be no need to start the
server with an extra command. This is an issue for payciv compatibility.

> Yours,
> Per

Erik Sigra