[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Background Freeciv Server

To: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Background Freeciv Server
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:03:10 +0100

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 10:46:05AM +0200, Erik Sigra wrote:
> "Per I. Mathisen" wrote:
> > Ideally, the server should just be fork&forget. Leave it to clients
> > configure it. First join gets highest server priviledges. To protect
> > against server hijacking, the first to join may (optionally) need a
> > command-line supplied password. This would both simplify the server code
> > and make it simpler for the user. The server can be controlled by a GUI -
> > the client.

> Yes, getting rid of code for command prompt and input handling from the
> server seens appealing to me. That is the kind of stuff that clients are
> for.

Yup.

The clean design would be to split the current server into a server
and client (!). The civ-server-server would have no commandline stuff,
it would just understand a simple socket/pipe protocol (which would
probably be the same as the commands it currently understands).

The the civ-server-client would be responsible for readline work etc.
A different civ-server-client could issue single commands as suggested
earlier.

Jules