[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Background Freeciv Server

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Background Freeciv Server
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 01:03:47 +0200

Reinier Post wrote:
>> * You can run other commands in the same terminal window.
('ls' to see
>> what savegame files there are, start and stop background music
with your
>> favourite music player, look at savegames with 'less' (god
forbid :-),
>> start emacs, whatever other commands you want)
>
>This seems irrelevant to me.  Just use a different terminal
>window.

It seems relevant to me. Some people (like me) tend to have far too many
windows open, and possibly get confused. I could get at least one window
less.

> > * No need for using 'civserver -r script'. A shell script would do.
> > Civserver scripting could be done as shell scripting.
>
> Aargh!  There goes security.  This seems a fatal drawback to me.

For example what harm could be done with a shell script that can not be
done now?

> But what about client side server commands?

What would be the problem with them? Aren't they recieved in packets by
the server. If so the server can just interpret then just like it would
interpret anything ater 'civserver' at the bash prompt, no?

> > Erik Sigra
>
> --
> Reinier Post

Erik Sigra