[Freeciv-Dev] Re: City improvement

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Robinson <crusoe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: City improvement
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:44:47 -0500

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 08:37:01PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> You can already do this.  The Civ2/Freeciv unit tree includes an
> obsolescence relationship -- e.g., the Phalanx is obsoleted by the
> Pikeman, which is obsoleted by the Musketeer, etc.  You can upgrade
> any unit to any of the unit types that make it obsolete, an arbitrary
> number of hops forward -- but you pay more for bigger jumps, of course.
> So for example, you can upgrade a Phalanx straight to a Musketeer,
> as long as you have the techs (Feudalism and Gunpowder in this case).
>
> The Leonardo's Workshop wonder also does this, 1 unit (randomly chosen)
> per turn.  This is a toned down of the Civ2 Leonardo, which does *all*
> units at once (but has some bugs -- it doesn't always trigger at the
> earliest opportunity).

        It would upgrade 1 level immediately upon being built, and then
again every turn you gained a tech.  Thus the full trip from
Warrior->Rifleman could take several turns.
        This behavior was different from what the documentation said.

> Interesting.  I think that has potential.  But you may find that most of
> the experienced players on this list don't use trade routes very often,
> if at all.... ;-)

        Oh, no, they're definitely useful!  3-4 trade a turn makes up for
the cost of the Caravan/Freight unit quite quickly.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."