[Freeciv-Dev] Why fascism is bad but not communism (was Re: New Nazi cit

To: udgenzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Why fascism is bad but not communism (was Re: New Nazi cityset attached...)
From: Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:13:12 -0400 (EDT)

Dmitriy Genzel wrote:
>Someone asked what the difference is between having communism and
>fascism/nazism.
>Apparently here's the difference: there are apparently far more people
>offended by the second, than there are by the first.

It is *VERY, VERY DANGEROUS* when you begin to argue for/against something
like this based on the number of people involved.  Because that is exactly
equivalent to a majority exerting power over a minority.  And that is,
after all, what the Nazis were guilty of.
     This is one of the aspects in which politically-correct people are
hypocrites.
     If even one person, just *ONE*, objects to something, you should
respond in exactly the same way as if the majority of the people objected.
If you refuse to listen to the minority's objections, based ONLY the fact
that he is a minority, then no matter how you might try to "suger-coat"
it, the bottom line is that you're behaving like a Nazi would.  As well as
being a hypocrite.
     Thus, if you refuse to accept fascism as a form of government
into freeciv, and then later even one person objected to communism being
in freeciv but you refuse to remove it, acting essentially on the grounds
that that person is a "minority", then you are behaving like a Nazi.  And
if you simultaneously condemn Nazis (and who doesn't?), then you're a
hypocrite, too.
     Unlike most of the protests against fascism-in-freeciv on this
message list which are derived from emotion rather than reason (this has
been admitted to by one of the protesters), the above argument is rational
and has a logical flow.  Unfortunately, as in much of life, people will
blind themselves to reason.

>Now, Fascism (if ideally implemented, again) would involve a group of
>"Higher Race" people living off the backs of the "Lower Race" people.
>Which is not my ideal by any means (besides the fact that of course I
>would be one of the "lower race") even I were of the "Higher" race.

Pure (or "ideal", to use your term) fascism has absolutely NOTHING to do
with this "Higher Race"/"Lower Race" stuff.  Note that I'm not trying to
defend fascism, I'm just stating it like it is.  Now, fascism as practiced
by the NAZIS might be like this but it's just one example of "applied"
fascism and in fact is much different from the government conceived by
Mussolini (who invented the term "fascism") and in any case I don't know
of other examples in real-life fascism of a '"Higher Race" people living
off the backs of the "Lower Race" people' (did the Italians do this?  How
about the Spanish?).

---Reed Meyer