[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple patches

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple patches
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:54:15 -0400

At 2000/07/27 11:45 , Thue wrote:
>Den fre, 26 maj 2000 skrev Robert Rendell:
>> wonders.diff
>>
>>      * Wonders that are currently under construction come up in the
>>              wonders display (F7)
>
>Why the use of "Q_", and not just "_"?

I took a _very_ quick look at the patch.  It seems Robert has chopped the
strings up into small bits, and is using Q_("?wonder:...") to try to glue
them back together.  This is probably a bad idea.  Each concept should be
embodied in a single, complete sentence, so that the translators are given
some idea as to what the program is trying to say.  Also, the translators
may need to alter word order, which is impossible if the program glues
strings together in a pre-determined order.  I know that some existing code
is full of sentence fragments, but new code should be written with the
translators in mind.  Also, if complete sentences are used, there will
likely be no need for Q_().

jjm