[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple patches

To: Freeciv dev list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Robert Rendell <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple patches
From: Jed Davis <jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:40:57 -0400

--On Friday, 28 July 2000 11:25 AM +1000 Robert Rendell
<rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[translation difficulties]
I'm not even trying to be particularly grammatical; I don't try to have
"(building blah in x, y and z)", but rather "(building blah in x, y, z)".
As such, my belief was that what I was doing would be generally
translatable.

I'd think so too, but due to Murphy's Law there's probably one language out there where that somehow won't work... of course, I guess that'd be true
for any list setup...

BTW, surely a bigger word-order problem for translators is the %s's
embedded in the strings, which get replaced by the parameters to the
*printf() in the order they're given?

From fr.po, line 392:
< #: server/barbarian.c:435
< #, c-format
< msgid "Native unrest near %s led by %s."
< msgstr "Apparition d'indignènes menés par %2$s aux abords de %1$s."

--Jed, who stumbled upon that by chance yesterday