[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inconsistent function names and arguments

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inconsistent function names and arguments
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:25:43 +0200

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 01:45:47PM +1000, David Pfitzner wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Examples 1: There are two function in map.h
> > map.h:int is_water_adjacent_to_tile(int x, int y);
> > map.h:int is_water_adjacent(int x, int y);
>
> > Example 2: There is a function
> > government.h:int government_has_flag(const struct government *gov,
> >                                      enum government_flag_id flag);
> > and there are functions
> > tech.h:int tech_flag(int tech, int flag);
> > unit.h:int unit_flag(Unit_Type_id id, int flag);
>
> > Do developers admit that there some difficulties in respect to function
> > names and aguments? At least in the two examples above?
>
> Freeciv code has grown in bits and pieces, at different times and
> from different developers.  This is generally ok, but does sometimes
> lead to inconsistencies like those above.  Every now and then someone

I know this and the email wasn't mean to blame somebody in particular.

> makes an effort to fix some of these up, and I think such efforts are
> appreciated (or at least tolerated, eg, by those who prefer shiny new
> features instead ;-)

See posting on client side ai. Not much feedback.

> (Although one can go overboard - eg changes which affect many lines of
> code can make other ongoing development more difficult, so should be
> suitable justified.  For that matter "justifying" (ie, explaining)
> patches is always a good idea since it helps out the CVS-writers :-)

So would say the examples above are justified? Since the patches
could be large (250 calls to unit_flag, 21 to tech_flag and 15 to
government_has_flag) I want some feedback for them.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a