[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inconsistent function names and arguments

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inconsistent function names and arguments
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:45:47 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Examples 1: There are two function in map.h
> map.h:int is_water_adjacent_to_tile(int x, int y);
> map.h:int is_water_adjacent(int x, int y);

> Example 2: There is a function
> government.h:int government_has_flag(const struct government *gov,
>                                      enum government_flag_id flag);
> and there are functions
> tech.h:int tech_flag(int tech, int flag);
> unit.h:int unit_flag(Unit_Type_id id, int flag);

> Do developers admit that there some difficulties in respect to function
> names and aguments? At least in the two examples above?

Freeciv code has grown in bits and pieces, at different times and
from different developers.  This is generally ok, but does sometimes
lead to inconsistencies like those above.  Every now and then someone
makes an effort to fix some of these up, and I think such efforts are
appreciated (or at least tolerated, eg, by those who prefer shiny new
features instead ;-)

(Although one can go overboard - eg changes which affect many lines of
code can make other ongoing development more difficult, so should be
suitable justified.  For that matter "justifying" (ie, explaining)
patches is always a good idea since it helps out the CVS-writers :-)

-- David