[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-data] Re: Translation of Freeciv motto

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-data] Re: Translation of Freeciv motto
From: "SamBC" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:31:34 +0100

IMHO, it will be utterly impossible to translate the motto effectively into
any language unless they have both:

1) The name of the game, 'Civilisation' and the word, 'civilisation' being
the same

2) The double-meaning of the word 'free' (do any languages have that other
than english?)

Translating only one of the many meanings will defeat the object of the
motto entirely

Perhaps it should be left in English for purely stylistic reasons?

SamBC