[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Railroads and AI

To: Todd Goodman <tgoodman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv dev list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Railroads and AI
From: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:48:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Sorry for the "vacation lag", I'm replying to a bit old mail now..

> This isn't a comment specifically on the rail unit (though I don't
> really like it since IMHO it would add more micromanagement to
> the game).

I first thought train units would be a good idea, but you absolutely have
a point here.  I actually think it might be an idea to expand the railroad
idea to the ferries as well; what about giving the player the
option to establish ferry lines, where units gets transported from one
point to another without any micromanagement?  I guess the most "right"
way to implement this idea is to have a "ferry" command to the transport
ships, and when they are doing the ferrying they will automagically pick
up units and drop them off.  The "goto"-command for land units should
respect the ferry lines.  Unfortunately I have no clue about the FreeCiv
source, and I don't have any time implementing it, but if anybody have, I
guess it's a good idea; this is a true enhancement which won't break the
game balance or compatibility in any way.

--
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are
 cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."