[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomacy is...

To: Corin Anderson <corin@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomacy is...
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:43:40 +0200

Den man, 19 jun 2000 skrev Corin Anderson:
> ...saying "Nice Doggie" until you can find a big rock.
>
> But, more pertinent to Freeciv:  could someone explain diplomacy?  I
> haven't ever played PayCiv, or read its manuals, so I don't have that
> background.  But, I am very familiar with Freeciv, up through 1.10.0, and
> would really just like a "diff" from 1.10.0 to 1.11.0.  [Basically, what
> I'd like is a Help text listing for Diplomacy and Pacts.  We probably want
> such a listing before 1.11.0 is released anyway, don't you think?]
>
> To ask some specific questions:
>
> 1.  What are the possible Diplomatic States?  I've seen 'No contact' and
>     'War'.  What are the others?

Neutral, Ceasefire, Peace, Allience. Should be mostly self-explainable.
A Ceasefire expires to Neutral after some time.
Just one thing. If your government has a senate and you cancel a diplomatic
state above Neutral you migth cause a revolution.

> 2.  What do the diplomatic states mean?  Does it matter that I'm at War
>     with the French?

Being at war is just like 1.10 freeciv.

> 3.  What is a Reputation?  How does it change?

It changes when you cancel diplomatic states above Neutral or do spy actions
while in one of those states. It recovers a bit per turn.
It haven't really got any effect yet.

> 4.  What is a pact?  How do I establish one?

Go game->players and have a meeting with a player. You can agree on a
diplomatic state to enter.
In pacts Neutral and above your units can't attack each other, and dont
displace city workers. In Allience your units can overlap and does not cause
ZOC to each other.

> 5.  Can I disable diplomacy and such?  To make 1.11.0 behave just like
>     1.10.0 in that regard?

Since diplomacy isn't implemented for the Ai's, and they always just declaire
war when they meet you, it always works like 1.10. (war is like 1.10, as I
said). When playing against humans just declaire war when you first meet them.

> Thanks,
> Corey

-Thue