Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ for Palm Pilot ?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ for Palm Pilot ?
From: cyb97 <cyb97@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 00:06:09 +0100

On 30.05.2000 20:01:40, the guilty party (ie. Lalo Martins), stuck his/her head
out with the following anouncement:
>On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 10:54:21AM +0200, Pierre-Yves LE MOULT wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there any civilization clone projet for Palm OS ?
>>
>> Any FreeCiv version for Palm Pilot ?
>
>Once I started a design, I can dig it up and post it.
>
>One thing I remember is that I decided it's too much processing
>for the Palm, and as it doesn't thread it would be a pain; so I
>thought it was better to write a "civproxy" and a "civfe" with
>the civproxy doing all computations and disk access needed for
>the civclient side and driving the UI in the civfe trough some
>simple protocol.
>
>With the current state of Freeciv (RAM, processor, disk, etc)
>running both civclient and civserver in a Palm is right out,
>specially if you include AI.
>
>Then when I actually bought my own Palm I scrapped the whole
>project, being that the API (specially the dynamic UI API)
>completely stinks.
You could probably do it on Psions... The series 7 is a 180MHz risc which
should be capable of running server and frontend, and there is a linux distro
out for the Psion, already
working, _but_ it hasn't got a xserver as far as I know.. yet.... It would
definatly be neat to be able to play freeciv on a palmtop... and the current
state of freeciv isn't beyond a
palmtop, I only know about Psion Series 5 and 5mx (and a little bit about 3 and
a teenyweeny bit about 7), and they are able to keep up with ram (32 megs on
the most expensive
MX + up to 128MB storage), disk on the series 5 is expandable up to 128 megs
with flashcards, the cpu is a 38MHz risc in the MX and 19MHz(?) in the non-MX
so the problem
would be computing, I imagine it should be just about strong enough to handle a
stripped down client, but considering it hasn't got a colorscreen and it's only
1/4-VGA I think we
can scrap the idea all together.... The client would need such an amount of
rewrite to be able to be usable on a palm-device.... I'd rather see further
development into the win32
port so we can attract more players... it's getting boring with so few people
playing... I'm the only RL person I know playing FreeCiv....

--
andreas landark
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx