Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] thue: Remove the restriction that the nu

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] thue: Remove the restriction that the number of star... (PR#372)
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 19:08:44 +0200

> >> The prior code handled the case by generating random starting locations,
> >> which to me is the right solution.
> >>
> >> jjm
> >
> >Which prior code is that? I was not aware of it, and I can't find it now.
> >(lxr link into 1.10 source appreciated).
>
> http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/server/gamehand.c?v=1.10.0#L71

That code you made a pointer to doesn't create starting positions. It
only assigns nations to already existing starting positions.
I also fail to see it should make any difference to it if there is not
always MAX_NUM_PLAYERS start positions.

> >btw, I don't think you should generate random start positions in a
> >scenario...
>
> I agree!  This is why the scenarios supplied with the Freeciv need to be
> updated to include start positions for MAX_NUM_PLAYERS.

No comprendo. Please spell it out, I seem to be slow today.
To me it seems to per a very reasonable specification that a scenario
can have less than MAX_NUM_PLAYERS. In fact there is a variable for that
in the scenarios, called max_players. Allready in 1.10 aifill was reduced
if it surpassed max_players.

> However, whether or not to allow random starts should be left as a
decision
> to the scenario designer.  Which is why we need to allow
random starts in
> the code.
>
> jjm

In 1.10 all scenarios are with fixed start positions. It is not my job
to change that. I just made it work again (and a little better since I
removed the restriction on the number of start positions)

-Thue