Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Corruption - Civil Disorder (PR#355)

To: jon_mikko@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Corruption - Civil Disorder (PR#355)
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 15:37:55 +0100

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 07:16:47AM -0700, jon_mikko@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[snip]

> If you use emperor/despotism it would be like this:
>
> 1-4 cities, all disorder at size 4.
> 5-8 cities, four first cities disorder at size 4, 5:th to 8:th disorder at
> size
> 3.
> 9-12 cities, four first disorder at size 4, 5:th to 8:th disorder at size 3,
> 9:th to 12:th disorder at size 2.
> and so on... reducing disorder size with one for every 4 cities you have.
>
> For monarchy it would be every 6:th city that reduced disorder size, and on
> republic every 8:th city...

I think there are two orthogonal issues being confused here.

*Corruption* is the effect that in cities distant from the capital,
some trade points are lost.  Corruption is reduced by higher
government forms and courthouses.

What you're talking about is the number of 'automatically content'
people per city. By default the first X (X=4, I think) people in a
city are content, and after that they're discontent, requiring
temples, wonders, etc.

However, it certainly seems to me that reducing this threshold might
be an interesting way of trying to reduce the 'many, many' small
cities winning strategy (this is a well-known 'bug', in the sense of
unaesthetic locally optimal strategy, of freeciv). But I'm not sure it
would work -- the 'many, many small cities' strategy is formed mainly
of cities of size 2, is it not? So they wouldn't be in disorder for
quite a while, anyhow.

Comments?

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable