Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: split up F_SUBMARINE (PR#347)

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: patch: split up F_SUBMARINE (PR#347)
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:09:03 -0400

David Pfitzner (dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> David Pfitzner wrote:
>
> > this patch splits F_SUBMARINE into:
> >
> >   F_SUBMARINE_INVIS - invisibility effect (usefulness reduced by fog,
> >             but still some effect vs cities and visibility-2 units);
>
> On second thoughts (sorry), should probably call this, eg,
> F_PARTIAL_INVIS, to be more general.  (I didn't want to call it
> F_INVISIBILITY since one could consider the possibility of units
> which were "fully" invisible (Civ CFP?))

CTP has multiple visibility levels.  Each unit has a "visibility class"
and one or more "visibility can see"s.

Most units are in visibility class 0.  They can be seen by any unit that
has visibility-can-see 0 (which is all of the units and cities as far
as I cared to look).

"Subversive units" (Slaver, Cleric, Abolitionist) have visibility class 4.
They can be seen by any unit with a visibility-can-see of 4 (Slaver,
Cleric, Abolitionist, Diplomat, Spy, Ecoterrorist, Infector, Cyber Ninja).

"Terror units" (Spy, Ecoterrorist, Infector, Eco Ranger, Cyber Ninja)
have visibility class 5.  They can only be seen by units with a
visibility-can-see of 5 (Spy, Ecoterrorist, Infector, Cyber Ninja).
(And yes, this means that Eco Rangers cannot see each other.)

"Trade units" (Lawyer, Televangelist, Corporate Branch, Subneural
Ad) have visibility class 3.  They can only be seen by units with
a visibility-can-see of 3 (Lawyer, Televangelist, Corporate Branch,
Subneural Ad).  (This is the only visibility class where all the units
can see each other and no other units can see them.)

"Sea stealth units" (I made that name up) (Submarine, Sea Engineer)
have visibility class 1.  Visibility can see 1: Submarine, Destroyer,
Spy Plane, Stealth Sub, Crawler, Plasma Destroyer.

"Sea super-stealth units" (I made that name up) (Stealth Sub, Crawler)
have visibility class 2.  Visibility can see 2: Stealth Sub, Crawler,
Plasma Destroyer.

There's also a tile improvement (Sonar Buoy) that can see Submarines
(but not Stealth Subs).

Finally, the Phantom unit can make itself completely invisible to
everything by cloaking.

This info's from the units.txt file that comes with CTP and from the
manual.  If this is used, I suggest changing the names "visibility class"
and "visibility can see" as they may be protected by code copyrights.
"Subversive/Terror/Trade units" is only in the manual and not the code,
but may deserve similar treatment.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers