Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: removing Freeciv.h from CVS

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: removing Freeciv.h from CVS
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:44:04 +1000 (EST)

=?BIG5?B?vbKr7bXY?= <iquin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > If you configure and make in a directory other than the source
> > tree you get most of this anyway.  If not, this would require
> > big changes to the build process.
> If you edit a file, you will need to copy it to a different tree
> and rebuild.

One of us (at least) is being too brief ;-)  Probably me, sorry.
What I mean is that it is possible to have your freeciv source in
say ./freeciv, and then do:
   mkdir build_dir
   cd build_dir
   ../freeciv/configure --whatever
   make

and the configure and object files etc will all appear in build_dir,
keeping the source dir clean.  (Except the po directory doesn't work
properly IIRC, in that it puts output files back into the source tree
instead of the build tree; this is related to it using a different
Makefile method.)

Eg, I use something like this with effectively build_xaw and build_gtk
to build both clients from the same source tree, for testing.

> > Maintaining an exclude file is easy and works.
> Might want to put a file such as doc/excludes in the source tree
> instead of an example in the webpage.

Agreed.

-- David