Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Land Reclamation

To: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Land Reclamation
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:21:49 -0800

Tony Stuckey wrote:
<snip lots of sea transformation discussion>

>         One other thing I haven't seen discussed is who will benefit from
> all of this Transformation, and that is: Players who are already ahead.
>         Players who are under siege will not be able to divert great
> resources to building new lands just to lose them.  Players who can protect
> fairly large territorial expanses will be the ones who can use this, and
> they will use it to concentrate even more units on continents where they
> are not yet dominant.
>
>         If I'm missing anything, please let me know.

I think that something that we need to keep in mind is that there are
more than one kind of Freeciv player.  I myself have played Freeciv with
more than one goal in mind.

The player I am used to seeing is the one who tries to win on
civserver.freeciv.org all the time.  This is the kind that builds cities
2 tiles apart and goes straight to republic and steam engine and quickly
crushes the competition.

There is also (and maybe this is a majority see
http://www.freeciv.org/cgi-bin/poll.cgi?num=28 and
http://www.freeciv.org/cgi-bin/poll.cgi?num=1) a number of people who
play Freeciv in standalone mode.  Many of these players play with
completely different strategies and enjoy developing large cities with
all kinds of improvements.

What does all this mean to Freeciv development?  I don't really know.
But I think that things like reclaiming land from the sea, and building
large bridges cater more towards the second kind of player.

--
Paul Zastoupil